I like to make this French toast recipe in big batches and freeze it for easy school morning breakfasts. I find it so simple, yet so flavorful.
Any bread will do, but my favorite bread for this recipe is french bread or sourdough bread. Fresh is fine if that’s all you have, but stale bread will be best for this french toast. Simply leave your fresh bread on the counter over night and then you will have stale bread!
It’s as easy as slicing your bread, whisking some ingredients, and then soaking and frying the bread! Only a few easy steps until it’s in your mouth…. that’s my kind of breakfast.
You will love this recipe because it can be easily customized. If your family isn’t a fan of cinnamon or nutmeg, leave it out! If you don’t have brown sugar, you can use any other sugar or sweetener you have on hand. And if your family is non-dairy, you can use any milk substitute and it will still come out delicious. I have personally tested it with almond milk and flax milk and both were great!
- One 13 inch loaf of french bread (or other varieties)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of half & half
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or other sweetener of choice
- Butter for greasing your skillet
- Cut your bread into one inch slices.
- Heat your skillet on medium low.
- In a pie dish or casserole dish, combine the eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk it well until it is all combined.
- Place a tablespoon of butter in the skillet to melt, then place the slices of bread in the egg mixture. If you are using fresh bread, only soak each side for 10-20 seconds so it wont get soggy. If your bread is stale, soak for up to a minute on each side.
- Cook the slices of French bread in the greased skillet for 2-4 minutes on each side or until they have reached a golden brown.
- Serve immediately with syrup!
* To freeze this recipe, simply make all the french toast and lay them out to cool. Place in a ziploc bag and freeze! To reheat, pop them in the toaster or toaster oven, or even in the oven! Enjoy.