Have you ever looked into the fridge and there, hidden under a bag of carrots, is a week old zucchini you forgot about? No? Just me..? Well, this recipe is perfect for that half shriveled up zucchini! You only need one medium sized zucchini for this recipe.
You start by shredding the zucchini. This is the hardest part, believe it or not. Then you lay the zucchini shreds on a plate/cutting board or even your empty mixing bowl, and blot them gently with a paper towel to get off some of the excess moisture. Then it is as simple as mixing all the ingredients together!
This is a one bowl recipe. That means it isn’t necessary to whisk up your dry ingredients before adding them to the wet ingredients. This zucchini bread is rustic and perfect without the extra step. Just sprinkle your dry ingredients over the wet ingredients as evenly as you can. And then stir it together!
I’ve tried this recipe with chocolate chips and nuts as well and they are both amazing additions. This zucchini bread is perfect on it’s own but really you can jazz it up with a variety of things, I find one cup of add ins is the sweet spot amount.
Zucchini Bread Recipe:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Shred the zucchini with a large cheese grater, then spread the zucchini shreds evenly on to a plate. Take a paper towel and blot the zucchini a few times to get some moisture out.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, vegetable oil, sour cream, vanilla, and shredded zucchini. Once it is well combined, add in the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda. Sprinkle these dry ingredients as even as you can over the wet ingredients. Combine well. If you are adding any add ins (like chocolate or nuts) add them in now.
- Grease a loaf pan well. Pour the patter in and bake it for one hour or until a tooth pick is inserted and comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let the zucchini bread cool completely in the pan before removing it.
* Substitutions: -You can use melted butter, coconut oil, or canola oil instead of vegetable oil. -Yogurt works instead of sour cream. -You can use white sugar instead of brown sugar. -If you do not have a loaf pan, bake it in a 9×9 pan instead! It may take less time to bake so keep an eye on it.