Before I knew how to roast a chicken in the oven, I would buy the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store weekly. While those are delicious, it is more than possible to make something even tastier at home.. and it is a lot easier than you think!
There are only a few short steps to this recipe. Take the neck out of the chicken, put it in a baking dish or cast iron skillet (mine is 12 inch), season it, and bake it. That’s it. If you want to make sure your chicken isn’t raw still or over cooked and dry, I recommend using a meat thermometer. I use one every time I cook chicken. For chicken to be safe to eat, it has to be at 165 degrees. You want to keep it right at, or a little above, that temperature to ensure it stays juicy and delicious.
Simple & Delicious Roast Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole fryer chicken, around 4 to 6 pounds
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning OR fresh Italian herbs
- 1 tsp herbs de province (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- Half an onion, cut into 3 chunks (optional)
- Half a lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If using a cast iron pan, preheat the pan with the oven.
- Remove the neck from the inside of the chicken, if there is one.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the baking dish. Place the chicken in the dish and sprinkle all the spices and herbs generously on the chicken. If using the onions and lemon, stuff those into the cavity of the chicken. Drizzle about one to two tablespoons of olive oil on the chicken and bake it for about 90 minutes, or until the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and let it rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Simple & Delicious Roast Chicken”
whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your posts. Keep up the great work! You know, lots of people are looking around for this information, you could aid them greatly.