This is my favorite chili recipe for a few reasons. It is full of flavor from the spices and vegetables, it is healthy, its very simple to throw together, and because my whole family loves it.
I like to dice my carrots and peppers fairly small to make sure they are very soft when the chili is done. It will simmer for a long time so you shouldn’t have any hard carrots in the mix.
After you sauté the vegetables for a little while, you’ll cook in the beef and garlic, add the spices and the rest of the ingredients and basically forget about it! I stir mine every hour or so just to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
The longer you let the chili simmer the better it will be. I like to simmer mine for 4 hours. It is full of flavor and the perfect cozy winter meal.
My Favorite Chili Recipe
- 1 lb. Ground beef OR ground turkey
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- One 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- One 15oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 8oz can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, bell peppers, carrots and cook until they start to soften. Then add your ground beef and minced garlic and break up the meat with your spoon.
- Add all of your spices, and stir together. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans, diced tomatoes and bay leaves and stir well.
- Simmer the chili on low heat with the lid on for 2-4 hours. If you need to make it faster than that, simmer for at least 30 minutes (the longer you simmer it, the better it tastes. I recommend 4 hours). I serve mine with a dollop of sour cream and some cheese. Enjoy!