I love this chicken & biscuit pot pie because it’s so easy to make. I make this instead of a traditional pot pie on those nights I don’t have time to deal with pie dough! The biscuits on top are rustic and they don’t need to be perfect. The filling is thick, flavorful and comforting. This dish is perfect for those cozy chilly days.
For the chicken, I find using a rotisserie chicken works great. I get them at my costco for $4.99. But if you don’t have a rotisserie chicken, no worries! Just cook your favorite cut of chicken and cut it up before adding it to the filling.
To start this meal, we will first sauté the onion and carrots until the carrots are softened.
Then we will add the flour and spices and stir it into the vegetables well. You cook this for 3-5 minutes to make sure the filling doesn’t taste like raw flour!
Now we add the chicken and broth. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until its thickened nicely. I stir it every few minutes just to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. You want it to be thickened and not soupy.
Next we add the half & half and cook it for another few minutes until it’s well incorporated. Turn the heat off, and make the biscuits. Use my old fashioned buttermilk biscuit recipe, you will not be disappointed! Or you can use your own tried and true biscuit recipe, or even store bought biscuits if you are short on time.
Add the biscuits to the top, and bake until they are golden brown! I find mine takes about 20-25 minutes.
Chicken & Biscuit Pot Pie Recipe
( Serves 4 to 5)
- 1-2 pounds cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt, to taste (I use a tsp)
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Biscuits (link to my biscuit recipe below)
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and carrot with the olive oil until the carrots are softened (about 15-20 minutes).
- Add all the seasonings and flour to the softened carrots and onions in the skillet. Stir well, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on medium low heat. Add the broth and stir well. Once combined, add the cooked chicken and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the half & half and simmer for another 5-8 minutes to combine and continue to thicken. Turn off the heat and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Next, make the biscuits. You can use my biscuit recipe or your favorite biscuits(or even canned biscuits work!). Here is the recipe to my old fashioned buttermilk biscuits: https://homemakingwithsara.com/2021/10/24/old-fashioned-buttermilk-biscuits-large-batch/
- Place the cut out biscuits on top of the warm filling (if your skillet is not oven safe, pour the filling into a greased pie dish/casserole dish and place biscuits on top). Bake in the preheated oven from 20-30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Enjoy!