When I first made this soup, my husband joked that it was a dip, because it was THAT thick (LOL). While I enjoyed it, I did make a few changes here and there to ensure an equally tastey soup and not dip. I feel like I say this all the time but… this recipe is so easy!
I have a toddler, so I love sneaking vegetables in wherever I can. That’s why I add three shredded carrots along to the broccoli and onion. You soften them up in some butter or olive oil in a pot.
Next we add the broth, spices, and corn starch slurry. Always add your corn starch in a slurry and NOT in dry form. A slurry is a mixture of corn starch and water. We add it this way to make sure the corn starch actually does its job (thickening) instead of clumping up the second you add it to the pot. Once you add it to the soup, simmer on medium and stir it every couple of minutes. Once the broccoli is soft and it has thickened slightly, move on to the next step.
Adding half & half ensures the soup is rich and creamy. You can add whole milk if you are in a pinch. Simmer the soup for 5-8 minutes after adding the cream. Then add the shredded cheddar cheese. I like to buy a block of cheddar and shred it myself. I think it tastes the best this way but you can add bagged shredded cheese if you’d like.
Once the cheese has been added, turn the heat off and stir until its combined. Now dig in!
Thick & Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2.5 cups vegetable/chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 to 3 medium heads of broccoli, chopped up
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp corn starch + 1/4 cup water to make a slurry
- 3 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, add the butter, onions, carrots and broccoli. Sauté over medium low until the broccoli is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika, garlic powder, and corn starch slurry. Stir every couple of minutes and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the soup has started to thicken. Add the half & half next and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and then stir in the shredded cheese. Once the cheese has melted, it is ready to serve.
1 thought on “Thick & Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup”
Omg I need that in my life, it looks delicious!!!!!!!