I made this recipe after trial and error, using things I already have on hand most of the time. I love buttermilk pancakes, but I don’t usually have buttermilk on hand! I still wanted those thick and fluffy pancakes.. and so this recipe was born.
Fluffy, thick, and delicious. My mother came to visit and actually described these as good as chocolate chip cookies! get creative with the add ins, or eat them plain and old fashioned. Let’s get cooking.
Mix together all of the ingredients into a bowl. This is how thick my batter usually is. I used almond milk this day because that is what I had on hand… but if you were to use half & half or heavy cream, the batter would be thicker. I also added some chocolate chips.
Preheat your cast iron skillet for a few minutes, then melt some butter. I usually pour 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of batter onto the skillet, on low to medium-low heat. You will start to see some bubbles forming…
And when the bubbles have mostly popped and the edges are starting to cook a bit, its time to flip.
Thick, and beautifully golden brown. Perfection. Cook it for a few more minutes, or until the other side is golden brown as well. Serve immediately!
Thick & Fluffy Pancake Recipe
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar/honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter/oil
- 1 1/4 cups milk (any kind)
- Optional mix ins (chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, etc)
- Mix together the egg, milk, butter, vanilla, sugar until well combined. Then add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined. A few lumps are OK! Fold in any mix ins now.
- Heat a skillet on medium low heat and melt a little butter or oil on the surface. Pour in 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of batter (depending on how big you want your pancake to be). Cook for a couple of minutes, until the edges start to cook and the small bubbles start to pop. Flip the pancake and finish off the other side. Repeat for the rest of the batter. This recipe usually makes 6-8 pancakes.
- Serve warm with butter/syrup/whipped cream! Enjoy.