Thick, slightly creamy, and filling. Not only is this soup recipe cheap to make, easy, delicious and fast.. but it can also be made vegan! Customize it with different broths or even add meat or more vegetables, the possibilities are endless.
It’s as easy as softening the vegetables, adding the broth and rice and putting the lid on to finish…. that’s it. Pair this soup with some homemade bread, corn bread, biscuits, a salad, or just eat it on its own!
Simple Mushroom & Brown Rice Soup Recipe
- 6 cups of your favorite broth (here is a recipe for homemade broth.)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice, rinsed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into slices
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon each: salt, pepper, italian seasoning (or to your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil/any fat
- In a pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, diced onion and chopped carrot. Sautee the vegetables for about 5 minutes, or until they start to soften. Then add 1 cup of the broth and let it reduce in half, this takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle in your flour, salt, pepper, paprika, italian seasoning, mushrooms and minced garlic and stir around. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to cook out the flour taste. Add the bay leaves, uncooked rice, and the rest of the broth. stir well to ensure the flour is dissolved.
- Bring it to a simmer and then turn the heat on low. Cover with the lid and let the rice fully cook. This takes 30 to 45 minutes. Take the lid off, stir and remove the bay leaves. Enjoy!
1 thought on “Simple Mushroom & Brown Rice Soup”